What are the steps to applying for a credit card?
Before applying for a credit card, you should ask yourself:
- What is my credit score, how can I check it and how might it impact me getting a credit card?
- How do I choose a credit card?
- What is APR and what rate could I get?
- What should I do if my credit card application is declined?
- What’s the golden rule of credit card spending?
- Where can I compare credit cards?
Follow these simple steps to get the process started.
Check your credit card eligibility
Lenders will look at your credit score against their own criteria to see if you’re eligible for their card and to decide what rate to offer you. Applying for cards has an impact on your credit file, so it makes sense to see if you’re likely to be eligible for a card before you apply. Use our online eligibility checker to get an idea of whether you’re likely to be accepted for the cards you have in mind.